The Blackboard Learn Ultra calendar displays standard Blackboard course calendar information (such as scheduled events and due dates) and timetable information for Postgraduate and MB BS Gateway students.
This guide will explain how to:
- access the Blackboard Learn Ultra Calendar
- add the Blackboard calendar to an Microsoft 365 HYMS email account calendar (web browser)
- view the Blackboard calendar on a mobile phone
- resolve syncing issues in third party calendars (Microsoft 365, viewing from a phone)
Access the Blackboard Learn Ultra Calendar
- Log in to Hull York Medical School Blackboard Learn Ultra. Please see the following help page for further guidance; Blackboard log in guidance.
- Click on the calendar icon on the left-hand navigation menu.
- The calendar can show content such as planned teaching sessions, events and due dates across courses / organisations. Content can be viewed by day or month. You can click on a calendar event to see further information / links to content.
- Navigate to the settings cog in the top right-hand corner of the calendar view to check / uncheck courses and organisations you want to see content for.
- Select or unselect courses / organisations as preferred.
Within a Blackboard course, you can access the Calendar from the Course Navigation Bar. This course calendar will only show teaching events and submission deadlines for that course.
Add the Blackboard calendar to an Microsoft 365 HYMS email account calendar (web browser) and view on a phone
Please add the Blackboard calendar to Microsoft 365 before then attempting to view on a phone.
- Access the calendar / calendar settings cog as described above.
- From the settings, select the menu, and then the option to share calendar.
- A pop-up menu will appear with a personalised calendar link. Select to copy the link.
- In a separate browser in incognito / private mode, log in to your HYMS Microsoft 365 account and navigate to the Microsoft 365 calendar. Please see further guidance at the following links; Microsoft 365 HYMS account guidance and private browser mode guidance.
- From the left-hand side panel in the Microsoft 365 calendar view, click on add calendar.
- Then select subscribe from web.
- Paste the Blackboard calendar link into the provided field and name it in the space below (such as HYMS Calendar). Choose to ‘add to my calendars’ from the drop-down list. To finish, click on import.
- Back in the Microsoft 365 calendar view, your Blackboard calendar will appear in the left-hand side panel, under My calendars.
If it is not the first time you are trying to import the calendar, firstly remove the existing imported one. Right click on the calendar under ‘my calendars’ and select ‘remove’ from the drop-down list.
Option 1: Once you have added the calendar to HYMS Microsoft 365 in a browser, add the Outlook app to your phone. The Outlook app allows you to view HYMS Microsoft 365 emails and calendars.
Option 2: Once you have added the calendar to HYMS Microsoft 365 in a browser, add your HYMS email account to your phone and then choose to also add your HYMS email calendar to your phone’s calendar.
*Some devices may also prompt directly to add the calendar link to the phone’s calendars. You can try this by accessing the calendar link from your phone in a browser (see the above section). Select the link and choose to subscribe if prompted by your phone.
For both options above, please see the following page for further guidance on adding email to your phone / downloading the Outlook app; accessing HYMS email and calendar on smartphone / tablet devices.
You may need to then go to your calendar menu and check your HYMS email calendar and / or HYMS calendar are selected to be visible. In your phone’s calendar it may not specify the calendar to check / uncheck, but includes it if the overall HYMS email account is selected (ticked green box in image below).
If it is not the first time you are trying to view the calendar, you may need to go to your phone settings and choose to unsubscribe / forget the calendar first.
Resolve syncing issues in third party calendars (Microsoft 365, viewing from a phone)
- Allow a little time for content to sync. This may vary depending on the device manufacturer, the available connectivity, and when content was added to the calendar. As stated above, we cannot guarantee how often third party calendars will sync with the Blackboard calendar.
- If you encounter continued sync issues, try removing the link from your calendar / device and repeating the steps above.
- Ensure you have correctly copied and pasted the Blackboard calendar link and correctly followed the steps above.
- If only some content is missing, contact the session organiser and check that content has in fact been added to your calendar. It may be that session details have not been added and they have been communicated to you via an alternative method (such as a link in a Blackboard announcement or an email, or an invitation via your Teams calendar).
- If the calendar is showing but the timings are incorrect, please check your settings. For your Outlook calendar, please navigate to your email settings/ view all Outlook settings/ general/ language and time. Check the time zone is set to Dublin Edinburgh Lisbon London. For your phone, please navigate to your email settings and check the time zone is also set to Dublin Edinburgh Lisbon London. Also check the overall time zone settings on your phone.
- Please also see the following additional support pages; Microsoft 365 support and Apple support. Please be aware this is example guidance only. Some device models / older models may not support these options. If you have an alternative device, we suggest searching for online support for your specific device.