Overview of the process
Please watch the video tutorial or read the guidance below to:
- upload an assignment to Turnitin
- view a report online
- download a report
Uploading an assignment to Turnitin
Uploading your work to Turnitin and downloading a report is quite a simple process.
- Navigate to the submission points on the HYMS Turnitin Tutorial course menu in HYMS Blackboard: https://hymsvle.york.ac.uk. Please firstly work through the other sections of this course sequentially. If you have successfully completed the Turnitin Test you will see multiple example submission points visible in this area. If not, you will need to go back to the Turnitin Test and complete it with a 100% pass mark. You can retake the test until you manage to achieve this score.
- Click on view/complete on a submission point. You can upload drafts of your work to these submission points, but each submission point can only be used once.
- From the Turnitin homepage view, click on submit
- On the next page your first and last name will already be entered in the name fields. You will need to name your submission in the submission title field. Then choose the relevant file to upload from the relevant source, such as your computer. You can choose to clear file if you have accidentally selected the wrong document.
- Click on upload if you are happy with your submission.
- You will then see a preview and summary information about your document. Please check carefully that it is the correct document. You can click on the document preview to enlarge it, and then click on the enlarge icon at the top of the document view to enlarge it further.
- Click confirm if you are happy with your submission.
- You will now see a digital receipt of your submission and you can print a copy of this when viewing the generated report later, or from the assignment inbox. You should also receive an email confirmation to your HYMS email account. Now click return to assignment list.
View a report online
- Once you have a similarity percentage, click on view or the similarity percentage figure to view your similarity report. The report will appear in a new pop out window.
- Click on the layers icon in the top right-hand corner menu of the report. From here you can check / uncheck the similarity layer.
- If there are any matches, relevant parts of the text will become highlighted when the similarity report is checked. Matched sources will be numbered. You can click on a number to see a pop-out of the matched text in the context of an identified source. You will see an option to expand the view or link out to the source material online.
- Click on the similarity percentage to see the match overview. If there are any matches, you will see a breakdown of the percentage match for each source that has matched. You can further click on a source and the document viewer will jump to the relevant part of the text. Different sources will be colour coded in different colours.
- Click on the arrow to the right-hand side of the source to see a breakdown of how many matches have been found for each source, and further click on matches to see them further highlighted in the text.
Download a report
- Click on the download icon to download the current view of the similarity report in a PDF format. There are also further options here to download a digital receipt of your submission or the originally submitted file. The download will be a snapshot of the current view of the submission you have open.
- You can now open your downloaded report.
For further support, you can refer to the other resources available from the tutorial course or contact the Learning Enhancement and Support team directly at email@example.com.