Overview of the process
To upload and publish a single column of results you need to:
- first create an empty column in the grade centre, in the appropriate Blackboard course
- download the column as a tab-delimited text file and open as an Excel spreadsheet
- enter the results into the spreadsheet
- upload the results to the new grade centre column as a tab-delimited text file from the Excel spreadsheet
- publish results
An additional step if required:
- modify results
The process needs to be repeated for additional columns of results.
Please see the step-by-step guidance below.
Step 1: Create the corresponding empty column in the grade centre
- Navigate to the full view of the grade centre
- Click on create column
- Enter the title of your results in column name
- Select a relevant primary display (such as score or text)
- Enter a value in points possible (this is a required field, it is possible to enter ‘0’ if a score does not apply)
- Select no for all settings in options
- Click submit
- A success confirmation banner will appear back on the full grade centre view
- Check the column is now in the grade centre and is hidden from students. It should have a red diagonal line next to the column title.
Step 2 : Download the column
- Navigate to work offline in the full grade centre view (top right-hand corner of the grade centre)
- Click on download in the drop-down menu
- From the download grades page, under data, select download selected column. Choose your column from the drop-down menu.
- Under options select tab for delimiter type
- Under save location choose to save to my computer
- Click submit and then download on the next page
Step 3 : Enter results into the downloaded spreadsheet
- Open the downloaded Excel sheet. Should you receive a warning message regarding the file being potentially corrupted or unsafe, click on yes to continue and open anyway.
- Enter your data into your column
- To export the results, save as text (tab delimited). Should you receive a warning message asking if you want to save in this format, click on yes to continue.
Step 4: Upload the results
- Navigate back to the grade centre full view
- Locate the work offline option. Click on upload in the drop-down menu.
- Upload your spreadsheet and choose tab delimited file. Click submit.
- You will see a preview of your data.
- Check the data looks correct and that your spreadsheet column has matched your grade centre column. Click on submit.
- A success confirmation banner with the number of total grades uploaded will appear back on the full grade centre.
- Locate your column on the full grade centre and check the data appears as you expected and that the column is hidden from students (red diagonal bar next to the title).
Step 5: Publish results
- Navigate to the drop-down menu on your column and select hide from students (on/off). You will no longer see the red diagonal bar next to the column title. Students will immediately see their results in my grades.
Additional step: Modify results
You can modify your results in your saved spreadsheet on your computer and then follow step 4 and 5 again. Do not change any formatting or column names. They need to remain identical otherwise you will create duplicate columns/ could unintentionally modify other grade centre data.