This article will explain how to communicate effectively using Microsoft Teams. Each channel within a Team has it’s own Posts thread. This is where you can start a new conversation.
Conversation in channels are organised by date and then threaded.
Start a new conversation
If you wish to discuss a topic or project with a team, you can do so by starting a new conversation.
- Select the channel you wish to start the conversation in.
- At the bottom of the posts page, type your message into the box. If you want you can attach a file to accompany your message.
- Hit Enter (or select the paper aeroplane icon) to send the message.
Reply to a conversation
Replies in threaded conversations are displayed under the initial conversation making the discussion easy to follow.
- Find the conversation you want to reply to.
- Select Reply and add your message.
- Hit Enter or select the paper aeroplane icon. Your message will now be posted.
You can communicate directly with team members by mentioning them in the message.You can @mention a channel, a team, a person, or several people at once. These users will receive a notification if they’re mentioned in Teams communication.
- In the Reply or New Conversation box, type the @ symbol, then type the first few letters of the person’s first name.
- From the Suggestions list, select the person you wish to reference in the conversation.
You can easily see when someone @mentions you or replies to a thread you started. A number appears or increments on the Activity and Chat icons and an @ appears on the Teams icon.
- Select the Activity icon.
- To view conversations that apply to you, select Notifications. Select Recent to view up-to-date Team conversations.