Microsoft have upgraded Internet Explorer to version 11. It’s likely, if you are a Window’s user and let Windows handle updates on your own computer/lap-top without too much intervention from yourself, that your own version of Internet Explorer has been upgraded. Unfortunately this version of Internet Explorer (and notably a more recent security patch for it) has introduced problems when using the current version of Blackboard and also when trying to access the HYMS Replay Lecture Capture system. As a consequence of this it is currently advised that you use Firefox, Chrome or Safari when wishing to access or work with Blackboard or Replay. Another option is to use to the HYMS Remote Desktop (full details of this service are available here).
Troubleshooting Known Issues with Internet Explorer 11
The following issues have been reported when using Internet Explorer 11 with Blackboard Learn 9.1 (the version HYMS uses):
- The inline grading interface fails to load properly
- Deleting items gives a blank screen with the word “False”
- Creating, editing, or submitting items gives the error “Object doesn’t support property or method” and “addClassName”
- The HYMS banner does not appear on the login page
- Tabs do not appear in the top frame once logged in
These issues are caused by Internet Explorer Compatibility View being enabled.
To disable Internet Explorer Compatibility View, perform the following steps:
1. In Internet Explorer settings, select Compatibility View settings from the Tools menu.
2. In Compatibility View settings -> Websites you’ve added to Compatibility View. If there is an entry for “york.ac.uk”, select this and click the Remove button.
3. Uncheck the Display intranet sites in Compatibility View and Use Microsoft Compatibility lists boxes.
4. Click the Close button to save the changes. Restart Internet Explorer to apply these changes.